page 1
page 2
page 3
page 4
page 5
page 6
page 7
page 8
page 9
page 10
page 11
page 12
page 13
page 14
page 15
page 16
page 17
page 18
page 19
page 20
page 21
page 22
page 23
page 24
page 25
page 26
page 27
page 28
page 29
page 30
page 31
page 32
page 33
page 34
page 35
page 36 Conference+Meetings WorldMarch 2011REGIONAL FOCUSexpenses. "Latest news from the domesticmarket," said Ghigi, "indicates that there isa slow but steady recovery, which has beenvisible from the second half of 2010 and setto continue in 2011".She added: "Turin in particular, which willbe the host city for the celebrations of the150th anniversary of the unification of Italy,already has a rich calendar of events. The Italian meetings industry is definitelyregaining its role in the country's economy,but, as elsewhere, with a much more sober style."Current demand for Italian events comesmainly from corporate organisations. Out of100 meetings and incentive travel eventsthat are organised, about 75 per cent arepromoted by corporate organisations, andthe remaining 25 per cent are organised byassociations, public bodies, unions andpolitical parties.The majority of these events have 50-300participants. According to the ItalianConference Market Survey, meetings up to300 participants make up 90 per cent of allmeetings organised in Italy, with littlevariations from one year to the other.The research further shows that corporateclients are concentrated in the richest andmost industrialised regions of Northern Italysuch as Piedmont, Lombardy, Veneto, EmiliaRomagna and Tuscany. Their main areas ofbusiness fields are automotive, chemicals,energy, IT, food and beverage, fashiondesign, telecom, consumer electronics,insurance, banks, financial and consultingservices.Italian conference market survey,Osservatorio Congressuale, which focussedon the country's market in 2009 showed itrecovered after its blackest period at the endof 2008. The strong performances of thesecond half of 2009 offset the declines inthe first six months of that year.2009 still closed with a negative figure interms of meeting numbers, which came inat 102,515, but with participants andattendance in positive territory. The numberof conference delegates neared 21.5m, up 2.82 per cent on the previous year.Attendance days grew by 2.92 per cent and topped the 35.5m mark. Average event duration also jumped, rising from 1.62to 2.6 days.An analysis of the various venues suggeststhat hotels suffered, even in the second halfof the year. Meeting attendance at hotelsrose two per cent, conference centres oneper cent in the first half and 12 per cent inthe second. Attendance at events held athistoric residences grew two per cent in thefirst half and 16 per cent in the second.In the second half of 2009 the impact ofthe recovery was mainly evident in eventsize. The biggest increases were registeredin meetings with 300-500 participants, upfive per cent versus the January to Juneperiod. Other categories also saw growth,albeit at lower rates. There was three percent growth for meetings with 50 to 100attendees and two per cent for those with100 to 300 delegates, two per cent forthose with 500 to 1,000 participants andalso two per cent for events attended bymore than 1,000 people.With regard to conference clients, themeetings promoted by corporateorganisations again confirmed their healthand grew five per cent in the second half of2009. Scientific association meetings camenext, up three per cent, while theorganisations/political parties/unions/SMERFsector up two per cent. In the second half of2009, national and international meetingsshowed signs of recovery with advances ofseven per cent for the former and nine percent for the latter. The figures for 2010 arenot yet released.Destination results were varied in 2009,with big cities and cities of art experiencinga critical period at the start of the year,before leading the recovery in the secondhalf. There were significant rises in all themain indicators: there was a rise of 13 percent in conference attendance days and of12 per cent in the of meetings. Delegatenumbers her were 31 per cent up.Minister for Tourism Michela VittoriaBrambilla noted Italy had risen from sixth tofourth place in the latest InternationalCongress and Convention Association(ICCA) rankings." It is now positioned justafter Spain and the UK. "This is significant,as it tells us that we have to invest in thissector, because it eases the seasonality oftourism," she said.Basilica di Santa Maria del Fiore, Duomo FlorenceRimini: the wait for PalaCongressi goes onParis Tourist Office / Ame?lie DupontParis Tourist Office / Jacques Lebar