page 1
page 2
page 3
page 4
page 5
page 6
page 7
page 8
page 9
page 10
page 11
page 12
page 13
page 14
page 15
page 16
page 17
page 18
page 19
page 20
page 21
page 22
page 23
page 24
page 25
page 26
page 27
page 28
page 29
page 30
page 31
page 32
page 33
page 34
page 35
page 36
page 37
page 38
page 39
page 40
page 41
page 42
page 43
page 44
page 45
page 46
page 47
page 48
page 49
page 50
page 51
page 52
page 53
page 54
page 55
page 56
page 57
page 58
page 59
page 60
page 61
page 62
page 63
page 64
page 65
page 66
page 67
page 68
page 69
page 70
page 71
page 72
page 73
page 74
page 75
page 76

www.nadfas.org.ukNADFAS REVIEW / SPRING 201131BELMONT HOUSEdistinctive silver servicecommissioned from Storr,Mortimer and Hunt of NewBond Street in 1847, stillto be seen in the DiningRoom at Belmont. Eachitem was struck with hiscoat of arms and thestylised tiger stripe motiftaken from Tipu's tiger,which General Harrishad taken as the familycrest when he wascreated First BaronHarris of Seringapatamand Mysore, and ofBelmont, in 1815.Remembered for initiating the systemof bringing Indian indentured servants toTrinidad, the 3rd Lord Harris thentravelled to India, serving as Governor inMadras during the challenging period ofthe Sepoy Revolt. In the next generation,4th Lord Harris George Robert Canningwas active in Indian affairs as Under-Secretary of State and Governor-Generalof Bombay 1890-1895; however, he ismost warmly remembered for his passionfor cricket, for setting up the Kent-basedBand of Brothers and for entertaining theWest Indian team at Belmont in 1923,including the talented young LearieConstantine, at a time when this wasseen as a white man's game. All of thesefamily episodes are captured at Belmont in photographs andmemorabilia; his cricket pitch has beenrestored and welcomes visiting teams. Hospitality always featured strongly inlife at Belmont. Even in 1809-10, duringthe Napoleonic Wars, young bride Elizadescribed house parties of 29 guests.The tradition extended to the localvillagers, too. When the 5th Lord Harrisreminisced about life between the wars,he recalled the strong tradition of familyresponsibility forlocal welfare in a rural area. "Beaters forshooting days might number as many asa hundred when times were hard." Healso described a regular annual festivity:"What they called a school feast - thechildren of Throwley village and Eastling.About 120 used to come, play gamesand competitions on the cricket ground,then have a big feast."The house, furnished largely in theearly 19th century, but with colourfulAgra-woven carpets and carved Indianchairs, is best known among specialistsfor its excellent collection of clocks,formed by the 5th Lord Harris. Apartfrom those on show around the house,there is a dedicated clock museum onthe first floor. Outside, with itsarboretum, pinetum, shell grotto, icehouse, orchards and extensive walledgardens, Belmont is well worth a visit.The walled kitchen garden was restoredas a Millennium project and gardentours are an enjoyable extra feature.Belmont's park and gardens, run byprivate trust administrator Andrea Davies,are open all year round and are often thesetting for country fairs and costumedRegency days. Plans are already beingconsidered for celebrating the victoryat Waterloo on 18 June 2015, the200th anniversary of the battle. Thefuture 2nd Lord Harris commandedthe 2nd Battalion of the 73rdRegiment of Foot; appropriately, asoldier in the regimental colourssupports the shield of arms grantedthat year to his father. The house isopen to visitors on summerweekends, with specialist clocktours led once a month by theHonorary Curator of the NationalMaritime Museum, JonathanBetts. Conservation of the contentsis an ongoing priority for trustees. Agreat curiosity, the silver inlaid armour of Tipu Sultan, inscribed with invocations,has recently been cleaned and put onshow. The collections have alsobenefited from the dedicated assistanceof NADFAS Heritage Volunteers over thepast decade. Local book teams helpsort out the extensive Library andreappear each winter. Since early 2010the large collections of Indian andEuropean textiles, silk dresses andofficial costumes, much of it stored formany years in the attics, have beenbenefiting from a NADFAS textileconservation campaign. A team ofseven volunteers is advised by ZenzieTinker, the textile conservation adviser. Above: Cricketmemorabilia from the early20th century;Lord Harris on a ceremonialelephant in India Below:NADFASHeritageVolunteers assistBelmont's textileconservationcampaign

Belfast's Botanic Gardens, withtheir glass-domed Victorian PalmHouse and tropical ravine, offer aleafy oasis of calm in the heart of busycity life. They are flanked, on one side,by the magnificent Lanyon Building ofQueen's University and, on the other, bythe Ulster Museum.  Architecturally, the two could scarcelyoffer a more striking contrast. SirCharles Lanyon's Gothic Revival edifice,built in 1849, is a combination of soaringred-brick towers, leaded windows andornately carved sandstone. Across thelawns hovers the great grey mass of the museum. In 1972, a spectacularextension to the original classicalLocal heroAfter a £17m refurbishment, Ulster Museumhas won a host of awards including the2010 Art Fund prize. Jane Coyleleads usthrough the fantastically varied galleries andfinds out why this museum has won over somany judges -and attracted more than700,000 visitors in less than two years32NADFAS REVIEW / SPRING 2011www.nadfas.org.ukbuilding was opened, designed in theBrutalist style and incorporating themain entrance. This seamless mergingof the traditional and the modern hasbeen widely praised over the years; thedistinguished architect David Evanswrote of the "... almost barbaric powerof its great cubic projections andcantilevers, brooding over the conifers ofthe Botanic Gardens like a mastodon."The Botanic Garden's origins werewith the Belfast Natural History Society,which opened the city's first museum in 1833. The then Belfast MunicipalMuseum and Art Gallery moved to the Botanic Gardens in 1929. It wasrenamed the Ulster Museum in