page 1
page 2
page 3
page 4
page 5
page 6
page 7
page 8
page 9
page 10
page 11
page 12
page 13
page 14
page 15
page 16
page 17
page 18
page 19
page 20
page 21
page 22
page 23
page 24
page 25
page 26
page 27
page 28
page 29
page 30
page 31
page 32
page 33
page 34
page 35
page 36
page 37
page 38
page 39
page 40
page 41
page 42
page 43
page 44
page 45
page 46
page 47
page 48
page 49
page 50
page 51
page 52
page 53
page 54
page 55
page 56
page 57
page 58
page 59
page 60
page 61
page 62
page 63
page 64
page 65
page 66
page 67
page 68
page 69
page 70
page 71
page 72
page 73
page 74
page 75
page 76
page 77
page 78
page 79
page 80
page 81
page 82
page 83
page 84
page 85
page 86
page 87
page 88
page 89
page 90
page 91
page 92

63Best of all, a good number of those homes still exist today. Ifyou've ever dropped into the Keg Mansion, you've appreciatedwhat McMaster money could build, and what Massey money couldrenovate. This landmark on Jarvis Street was designed by theimportant architectural firm Gundry and Langley, and built in1868 for Arthur McMaster. Arthur was the head of a largewholesale dry goods firm, and the nephew of William McMaster, afounder of the Canadian Bank of Commerce and the namesake ofMcMaster University. The house was sold in 1882 to Hart Massey,the head of the family that made their fortune producing farmimplements through the Massey Manufacturing Company (laterMassey-Harris) reputed to be the largest such manufacturer in theBritish Empire. Today, you can go for a steak at the Keg and appreciate whatmoney could buy in terms of home d├ęcor in the late 19th century.When you re-emerge from the front door, you can look next doorto see the house designed by E.J. Lennox (architect of Old CityHall and Casa Loma). It was built for Hart's son, and was thechildhood home of two more famous Massey's: Vincent, Canada'sfirst Canadian-born Governor-General, and Raymond, theHollywood and Broadway actor. In a beautiful sky-lit room to thenorth, their father proudly hung his collection of Dutch art. Acrossthe road and to the north is 504 Jarvis, designed in 1889 by theGooderham family's favourite architect, David Roberts Jr., for the21-year-old George Horace Gooderham. George Horace was clearlyprivileged to be the son of the President of the Gooderham andWorts Distillery. The stunning interior of the Romanesque-Revivalhome has also been immaculately maintained and has been opento the public as a restaurant. Though these houses remain, Jarvis street looks nothing like it didwhen they were built. Have a look at late 19th and early 20thcentury photos of the street, however, and you might understand.Above: McMaster House, later Euclid Hall, circa 1920.City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1244, Item 281.Right: The Massey family's Euclid Hall at 519 JarvisStreet, now the Keg Mansion. Photo by Marta O'Brien.

64Take two or three looks, actually. The modern four to five lanes oftraffic date to 1947, when the street was widened to carry morecars. Prior to that, the elegant street was lined by wide, leafyboulevards with shady sidewalks. Wrought iron fences and stonewalls marked the lawns of the houses, which were then well backfrom the street. In its prime, this was one of the most beautifulresidential streets in the city. But change is again afoot. Walk further south down Jarvis, almostto Carlton, and you'll be amazed at how, when carefully planned,the new can complement the old. In 2005, the National Ballet ofCanada opened the new Celia Franca Centre and the MargaretMcCain Academic Building at 400 Jarvis Street to much criticalacclaim, including a Heritage Toronto Award of Excellence forarchitectural craftsmanship and conservation. Designed byleading Toronto architecture firms KPMB Architects andGoldsmith Borgal and Company, Architects, the complexsympathetically incorporated two of the street's signature historicbuildings. At the heart of the sleek glass Celia Franca Centre isthe buff-brick Northfield House, built in 1854 for Oliver Mowat.Mowat would later be known as a Father of Confederation and thelongest serving Premier of Ontario, but when he built the house hewas a lawyer, and Jarvis Street was a dusty road, barely 10-years-old,that travelled through what we'd call countryside. Mowat's housewas later owned by Edward Rutherford, the President ofConsumers Gas, before becoming a residence for Havergal LadiesCollege (an elite private school for girls), and eventually, home toCBC executive offices. To the south, and still part of the NationalBallet, is the main red-brick building built in 1898 for Havergal.Here, in 1952, the first Canadian television program outside ofMontreal went live. That's the tip of the iceberg of CBC storiesrelated to this site. The new National Ballet campus is a beautiful addition to thisvery old street. The historic house and school building have beenbeautifully restored, and have been given dignity and presence bythe skilled placement of new buildings with transparent glassfacades. If the former mansions further north on Jarvis hint at thegrandeur of the street that once was, the new home of theNational Ballet demonstrates the best of Toronto today, and givesbright hope for Jarvis Street in the future. And that, after all, is one of the most exciting things about thiscity. Never quiet and always ambitious, Toronto just keepsadapting and adding to its past. In this city, there is so muchopportunity to make old things new again. Gary Miedema is the Chief Historian and Associate Director ofHeritage Toronto, a small charitable organization dedicated toraising awareness about Toronto's past. This article highlightsa few of the stops on Heritage Toronto's free guided walkingtour, "The Mansions of Jarvis Street," which will run on April29. For details about the Heritage Toronto Walks program,sponsored by TD Bank Group, visit The new incorporates the old in the award-winning National Ballet School, 400 Jarvis Street. The red-brick former Havergal Ladies College is at left, the buff-brick Northfield House at right. Photo by Marta O'Brien.Jarvis Street's upper reaches were the city'sRosedale before there was a Rosedale. At itsheight in the late 19th century, the street was the home to Toronto's now iconic families.